Sunday, August 8, 2010

The veggie patch

I love planting veggies, we're not always successful but watching the plants grow and change and waiting for that first taste of scrummy yummy freshness is just the best.
The patch is out the front, there is just not enough sun in our backyard with a HUGE liquid amber shading it for the better part of the day in Spring, Summer and most of Autumn. Also my lovely black lab Poppi cannot help but bounce all over the garden and tends to squish things very easily!
Today the kids helped me plant some seeds. We have butternut pumpkin, telephone peas and cherry tomatoes. The tomatoes will grow from the pots up a trellis in the backyard, the pumpkin........actually I have no idea where I will put this wandering curly wurly vine but I know I'll find somewhere!


We already have Garlic, Pineapple, blueberries, strawberries, spring onion, cabbage, rhubarb (that's not going very well but not dead) baby spinach and normal spinach and various herbs (the parsley is going mental!).
A few Pansy's here and there to attract the bee's and hmmmm I think that's it. I planted carrot too but it withered. I have no idea why, but I really cannot grow carrot, I have tried so many times from seed and seedling but the most I have every gotten is nice little leafy trees!
I'd really like a bigger patch, but really, with the kidiliwinks and all my lovely pets, this is probably as much as I have time for right now.


0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com